Sunday, August 30, 2009

Penland

I had class all weekend. It was a journal making workshop at Penland School of Crafts. Penland is an amazing place to cultivate art of all forms. I was so inspired by the work in the gallery as well as seeing the work that was created in the final summer session. The styles ranged from books to print, glass to metal, photography to textiles, clay to painting. It was amazing!

I saw this road sign at Penland- how true. My crafts are not only therapeutic tools, but a connection to God.

On Saturday we make paste paper. It was freeing and fun! I have never considered myself a painter, but I had fun and created some beautiful pages!




Today was an amazing day. To see the paste paper after it dried was truly inspirational. Overnight the paper transformed into artwork. I picked out the pages for my journal and created the covers.



We are going to sew our books together in class. I can't wait to share the finished product!!

I think I've found a new passion. Bookmaking.

2 comments:

ellie said...

WOW!!!!!!!!! Amazing work, Rachel!!!! Those papers are G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S, Girl! (and you look like you are having the time of your life, too!) Looking forward to seeing the whole bound book....thanks so much for posting about your experience at Penland....so exciting!

Unknown said...

This looks like fun. Your papers turned out superb! Very beautiful!